|Made||6th January 2004|
|To be laid before Parliament|
|Coming into operation||8th February 2004|
which, if held after his appointment as a reserve constable, could reasonably be regarded as affecting his ability to discharge his duties as a reserve constable in accordance with the code of ethics issued by the Policing Board under section 52 of the Act; or
(b) a shop is kept or a like business carried on by the candidate's spouse (not being separated from him) at any premises in Northern Ireland or by any relative included in his family at the premises at which he resides, and the keeping of the shop or carrying on of the business after his appointment as a reserve constable could reasonably be regarded as affecting his ability to discharge his duties as a reserve constable in accordance with that code of ethics; or
(c) the candidate, his spouse (not being separated from him) or any relative included in his family living with him holds, or possesses a pecuniary interest in, any licence or permit granted in pursuance of the law relating to liquor licensing, refreshment houses or betting and gaming or regulating places of entertainment in Northern Ireland, and the holding of that licence or permit or pecuniary interest after his appointment as a reserve constable could reasonably be regarded as affecting his ability to discharge his duties as a reserve constable in accordance with that code of ethics.
(3) Any reference in this regulation to a relative included in a candidate's family shall include a reference to his spouse, parent, son, daughter, brother or sister.
(4) The Chief Constable may give guidance to reserve constables, police reserve trainees and candidates for appointment as police reserve trainees in connection with prohibited business interests.
(5) The Chief Constable shall publish any guidance issued under paragraph (4).".
Functions of vetting panel
3. - (1) In regulation 11(1) of those regulations (restrictions on contracting out) after sub-paragraph (b) there shall be inserted -
(2) In regulation 12 of those regulations (vetting panel) -
(b) in paragraph (1A) (decision that candidate is unsuitable must be taken by panel) after "unsuitable" there shall be inserted "or, by virtue of any of the provisions mentioned in regulation 2(2)(e), ineligible,"; and
(c) in paragraph (5) (right to seek review of decision that candidate not suitable) after "suitable" there shall be inserted "or eligible".
(3) In regulation 13 of those regulations (independent assessor) -
One of Her Majesty's Principal Secretaries of State
Northern Ireland Office
6th January 2004