This is the original version (as it was originally enacted). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
Regulations made by the Department of Health and laid before the Assembly under section 25Q (Emergency procedure) of the Public Health Act (Northern Ireland) 1967, for approval of the Assembly before the expiration of 28 days beginning with the day on which they are made.
Statutory Rules of Northern Ireland
at 1.30 p.m. on 28th May 2021
Laid before the Assembly
at 2.30 p.m. on 28th May 2021
Coming into operation in accordance with regulation 1(2)
These Regulations are made in response to the serious and imminent threat to public health which is posed by the incidence and spread of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in Northern Ireland.
The Department of Health considers that the restrictions and requirements imposed by these Regulations are proportionate to what they seek to achieve, which is a public health response to that threat.
In accordance with section 25Q of that Act the Department of Health is of the opinion that, by reason of urgency, it is necessary to make these Regulations without a draft having been laid before, and approved by a resolution of, the Assembly.
1.—(1) These Regulations may be cited as the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2021 (Amendment No. 5) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2021.
(2) These Regulations come into operation at the time they are made, with the exception of regulation 5 which comes into operation on 31st May 2021.
2. The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2021( 3) are amended in accordance with these Regulations.
3. In regulation 1(2), at the appropriate place insert—
““shop” means any building, room or other indoor establishment which is open to the public in whole or in part and is used wholly or mainly for the purposes of retail sale or hire of goods or services; ”.
4. In regulation 5(1)(n), after “make a payment,” insert “visit premises in accordance with regulation 9(4)(g),”.
5. For regulation 11(2) substitute—
“(2) A person responsible for organising or operating an indoor sporting event must fulfil the conditions in regulation 9(5) if the number of persons in a gathering at the event is, or is expected to be, more than 15. ”.
6. In regulation 11(3), for “an outdoor sporting event unless it consists of no more than 500 persons” substitute “a gathering which consists of more than 500 persons at an outdoor sporting event”.
7. Omit regulation 11(3A).
8. In regulation 17(1), after “operation of a relevant place” insert “or a relevant hospitality venue”.
9. In regulation 17(3)(b), after “a relevant place” insert “or a relevant hospitality venue” at each of the two places where it occurs.
10. In regulation 17(3)(c), after “a relevant place” insert “or a relevant hospitality venue” at each of the two places where it occurs.
Sealed with the Official Seal of the Department of Health at 1.30 pm on 28th May 2021
Dr Naresh Chada
A senior officer of the Department of Health
(This note is not part of the Regulations)
These Regulations amend Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2021 by removing restrictions on indoor sporting events, subject to risk assessment in certain cases, and making technical changes.
No regulatory impact assessment has been prepared for these Regulations.