Regulations made by the Department of Health and laid before the Assembly under section 25Q (Emergency procedure) of the Public Health Act (Northern Ireland) 1967, for approval of the Assembly before the expiration of 28 days beginning with the day on which they are made.
Statutory Rules of Northern Ireland
at 9.30 p.m. on 18th October 2020
Laid before the Assembly
at 9.00 a.m. on 19th October 2020
Coming into operation in accordance with regulation 1(2)
These Regulations are made in response to the serious and imminent threat to public health which is posed by the incidence and spread of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in Northern Ireland.
The Department of Health considers that the restrictions and requirements imposed by these Regulations are proportionate to what they seek to achieve, which is a public health response to that threat.
In accordance with section 25Q of that Act the Department of Health is of the opinion that, by reason of urgency, it is necessary to make these Regulations without a draft having been laid before, and approved by a resolution of, the Assembly.
1.-(1) These Regulations may be cited as the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No. 2) (Amendment No. 10) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2020.
(2) These Regulations come into operation at the time that they are made.
2.-(1) Schedule 2 of the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No. 2) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2020(c) is amended in accordance with this regulation.
(2) In paragraph 1(1)(f), after "therapy" insert "except if provided to an elite athlete".
(3) In paragraph 1(1), in the definition of "sporting event", after "sport training" insert ", and dance of any type shall be deemed to be a form of exercise or sport for the purposes of this schedule"
(4) In paragraph 3(3) for "sub-paragraph (3)" substitute "sub-paragraph (4)"
(5) In paragraph 6(2), for "sub-paragraphs (3) to (7)" substitute "subparagraphs (3) to (9)".
(6) In paragraph 6(7) omit "dwelling".
(7) After paragraph 6(7), insert-
"(8) Sub-paragraph (2) shall not prohibit or prevent a person from organising, operating or participating in a gathering for the purpose of education or training (and for the avoidance of doubt, regulation 5 shall continue to apply to such a gathering).
(9) Sub-paragraph (2) shall not prohibit or prevent a person from organising, operating or participating in a gathering which is a blood donation session (and for the avoidance of doubt, regulation 5 shall continue to apply to such a gathering).".
(8) In paragraph 7(2)(b), after "test of competence to drive" insert "a vehicle other than a motorcycle".
(9) After paragraph 7(2) insert-
"(3) Sub-paragraph (2)(c) shall not prevent or prohibit a person using a caravan in, or the facilities of, a caravan park for touring caravans in the event of an emergency.".
(10) In paragraph 8(5), before "in a canteen" insert "on a ferry crossing which lasts or is expected to last three hours or more,".
Sealed with the Official Seal of the Department of Health at 9.30 p.m. on 18th October 2020
A senior officer of the Department of Health
(This note is not part of the Regulations)
These Regulations amend the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No. 2) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2020. They amend some errors in previous regulations, permit sports and massage therapy to be provided to elite athletes, provide that dance of any type shall be deemed to be a form of exercise or sport, and provide exemptions to restrictions for education, training, blood donation, motorcycle driving instruction, use of touring caravans in an emergency and for ferries.