Statutory Rules of Northern Ireland
31st January 2013
Coming into operation
25th February 2013
The Department of Justice, in exercise of the powers conferred by Article 22(1) of the County Courts (Northern Ireland) Order 1980(1), after consultation with the Lord Chief Justice, makes the following Order.
1. This Order may be cited as the County Courts (Financial Limits) Order (Northern Ireland) 2013 and shall come into operation on 25th February 2013.
2. The County Courts (Northern Ireland) Order 1980 shall be amended as follows:-
(a)In Article 10(1) (general civil jurisdiction) for "£15,000" substitute "£30,000"; and
(b)In Article 30(1) (general civil jurisdiction exercisable by District Judges) for "£5,000" substitute "£10,000".
3. The entry relating to Article 10(1) of the County Courts (Northern Ireland) Order 1980 in the Schedule to the County Courts (Financial Limits) Order (Northern Ireland) 1993(2) is revoked.
4. Article 3(a) of the County Courts (Financial Limits) Order (Northern Ireland) Order 2001(3) is revoked.
5. The amendments made by Articles 2, 3 and 4 of this Order shall not apply to any proceedings commenced before 25th February 2013.
Sealed with the Official Seal of the Department of Justice on 31st January 2013
Minister of Justice
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order increases the general civil jurisdiction of county courts in Northern Ireland from £15,000 to £30,000 and the jurisdiction of district judges in the county courts from £5,000 to £10,000.