|Made||29th September 2004|
|Coming into operation||1st November 2004|
Amendment to regulation 6 (inspection of vehicle and grant of a licence)
3. In paragraphs (1) and (2)(b) of regulation 6 of the principal Regulations, for the words "licence or disc" there shall be substituted the words "licence, disc or plates".
Amendment of regulation 7 (licence and disc)
4. For regulation 7 of the principal Regulations there shall be substituted -
(4) The disc referred to in paragraph (2) shall be fitted to the vehicle in a conspicuous position on the inside surface of the nearside windscreen.
(5) The disc referred to in paragraph (2) and the plates referred to in paragraphs (6) to (8) are prescribed for the purposes of Article 60(3) of the Order.
(6) The plates for a taxi (not being a taxi bus) -
(7) The plates for a taxi bus shall be in the form specified in Part IV of Schedule 10.
(8) The plate for a taxi licensed for private hire, not being a taxi bus, and which is used solely for the purposes of a wedding or a funeral shall be in the form specified in Part V of Schedule 10 and shall be displayed in a position where it can be seen by the passengers.
(9) The external plates specified in Schedule 10 shall be mounted squarely and affixed as close as possible to the extreme front and rear of the vehicle and fitted so that no part of a plate or its mounting is liable to cause damage or injury to any person. When affixed, the information on the plates shall be clearly visible when viewed from the front or rear of the vehicle.
(10) The internal windscreen plates specified in Schedule 10 shall be affixed to the inside of the windscreen in a prominent position with the photo luminescent side facing outwards.
(11) The rear passenger side window labels specified in Schedule 10 shall be affixed to the inside surface of the rear passenger door windows with the licence details facing outwards.".
Amendment to regulation 12 (duplicate licence or disc)
5. For regulation 12 of the principal Regulations there shall be substituted -
Amendment to regulation 13 (conditions of licence)
6. - (1) Regulation 13 of the principal Regulations shall be amended in accordance with paragraphs (2) and (3).
(2) In sub-paragraphs (f) and (h) for the words "centre nearest to the place where the vehicle is normally kept" there shall be substituted "Department".
(3) For sub-paragraphs (k) and (l) there shall be substituted -
(l) shall, on the expiry of a licence for a taxi (including a taxi bus), forward to the Department the plates referred to in regulation 7; and
(m) shall not remove or tamper with any seal affixed to a taximeter.".
Amendment to regulation 14 (alteration of licence or disc)
7. For regulation 14 of the principal Regulations there shall be substituted -
(2) Any licence, disc or plate altered, defaced, mutilated or added to shall be void.".
Amendment to regulation 16 (change of address of licensee)
8. In regulation 16 of the principal Regulations, for the words "centre nearest to his new address" there shall be substituted "Department".
Amendment to regulation 17 (revocation or suspension of licence)
9. In paragraphs (2)(b) and (3)(a) of regulation 17 of the principal Regulations, for the words "licence and disc" there shall be substituted "licence, and in the case of a bus, the disc and in the case of a taxi or taxi bus, the plates".
Amendment to Schedule 7 (fees for vehicle licences)
10. In paragraphs 1(b) and 2(b) of Schedule 7 to the principal Regulations, for the amount of £61.50 there shall be substituted £120.00.
New Schedule 10 (plates)
11. After Schedule 9 to the principal Regulations there shall be inserted the Schedule as set out in the Schedule to these Regulations.
Sealed with the Official Seal of the Department of the Environment on
29th September 2004.
A senior officer of the Department of the Environment
The Department of Finance and Personnel hereby approves regulation 10.
Sealed with the Official Seal of the Department of Finance and Personnel on
29th September 2004.
A senior officer of the Department of Finance and Personnel
Regulation 14 is amended in that a person may not deface or alter a plate and not display any plate which has been defaced, altered or has become illegible.
7. Regulation 16 is amended so that if the address of the licensee changes during the currency of his licence he shall forward details of the change to the Department.
8. Regulation 17 is amended to require plates to be delivered to the Department on the revocation or suspension of a licence, or removed upon the issue of a notice of prohibition.
9. Schedule 7 is amended by increasing the fee payable with the initial application and with a re-application for a licence for a taxi from £61.50 to £120.00.
10. A new Schedule 10 is inserted which specifies the details to be inserted on plates; the size, colour and material composition of the plates, and where they are to be located on the vehicle.
These Regulations have been notified to the European Commission pursuant to Directive 98/34/EC of 22nd June 1998 (O.J. No. L204, 21.7.98, p. 37) as amended by European Parliament and Council Directive 98/48/EC of 20th July 1998 (O.J. No. L217, 5.8.98, p. 18) laying down a procedure for the provision of information in the field of technical standards and regulations and of rules on Information Society services.
 S.R. 1985 No. 123; relevant amending Regulations are S.R. 1990 No. 201, S.R. 1994 No. 225, S.R. 1995 No. 446, S.R. 1998 No. 76, S.R. 2000 Nos. 149 and 328, S.R. 2001 Nos. 244 and 366 and S.R. 2003 Nos. 40 and 99 Regulation 6 was substituted by S.R. 2000 No. 149, regulation 4 and amended by S.R. 2000 No. 328, S.R. 2001 No. 366 and S.R. 2003 No. 40 Regulation 7 was amended by S.R. 1995 No. 446, regulation 2(3) and S.R. 2001 No. 366, regulation 4back