Strand, London, WC2A 2LL
B e f o r e :
|- and -
Mr Stephen Bartlet-Jones (instructed by CRM Law) for Mrs R
Hearing dates: 14 and 15 June 2011
Crown Copyright ©
Mr Justice Peter Jackson:
(1) An application by the mother for a declaration of parentage, naming Mr S as George's father, with the consequence that George's birth certificate would be amended.
(2) An application by Mr R for a parental responsibility order.
(3) Cross-applications for residence and contact.
(4) An application by the mother for permission to remove George permanently from the jurisdiction to Thailand, which she seeks the leave of the court to withdraw and possibly then amend to an application to remove him to Sweden.
(5) An application by the mother for the discharge of a prohibited steps order preventing her from removing George from the country and an undertaking preventing her from applying for a passport for him
Section 112 inserts section 4A into the Children Act 1989 to enable a step-parent to acquire parental responsibility for a child of his spouse. This may be acquired either by agreement between the step-parent and the parents who have parental responsibility for the child, or by order of the court. This measure is intended to provide an alternative to adoption where a step-parent wishes to acquire parental responsibility for his or her step-child. It has the advantage of not removing parental responsibility from the other birth parent and does not legally separate the child from membership of the family of the other birth parent.
The divorce proceedings