AT CENTRAL LONDON
B e f o r e :
| SMYLY AGHEAMPONG
|ALLIED MANUFACTURING (LONDON) LIMITED
Crown Copyright ©
HIS HONOUR JUDGE DEAN QC:
1. In March 2006 the claimant was the registered owner and keeper of a Fiat Bravo 1.4 SX motor car of 1370 cc with an index registration number R974VEL. This vehicle had been first registered in May 1998, hence was about 8 years old in March 2006. The claimant said he'd owned the vehicle for about 7 years, having bought it as a second-hand vehicle but he could no longer remember who had sold it to him.
2. The claimant was insured in respect of compulsory third party risks, as required by the Road Traffic Act, from 1st August 2004 until 15th December 2004, the insurer being Tesco, but Tesco cancelled that insurance before it had reached its natural termination as from 15th December 2004 upon the ground of non-payment of premium.
3. On 1st April 2005 the car was subjected to an MOT examination and passed that and a test certificate was issued which recorded that at that time the mileage was 73,920 miles.
4. The claimant renewed the road traffic fund licence by purchase of a tax disc which was issued and stamped on 1st August 2005 for 12 months, expiring on 31st July 2006.
5. The claimant's car was damaged by the negligent driving of the defendants' employee on 23rd March 2006 while it was parked unattended in Edgewarebury Lane in Harrow.
6. The claimant was not aware of the accident at the time and the police arranged for the damaged vehicle to be moved from the road.
7. The claimant went to solicitors on about 10th April 2006 and the claim was notified to the defendants on 11th April 2006 in respect of damage to the vehicle.
The claimant had made two written statements, on 15th March 2007 and a second one on 4th May 2007. He had also answered a number of extremely detailed requests for information posed by the defendants on 11th September 2006, and again on 18th March 2008. He had also been asked to admit facts relating to the insurance of the vehicle, which he had declined to admit.